When it comes to Car Insurance, there are a wide variety of coverage options and policies available. Whether you are in search of a new policy, shopping around for a better rate, or just have questions about the many types of coverage available, we are here to help you.  For over 60 years, Willoughby Insurance has worked with only the best insurance providers to ensure that each and every client is provided with a quality car insurance policy at a competitive price.

Every motorist in New York is required to have car insurance, whether you are in Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Tonawanda, Blasdell, or Williamsville. New York Insurance law sets minimum requirements for each and every insurance policy, but do these minimum requirements offer the coverage that you need for you and your vehicle?  Let’s take a look at what is required by New York law, as well as optional coverages that are available to better protect you and your vehicle.

New York is one of 12 states with no-fault car insurance requirements. No-fault insurance covers damages related to an accident, regardless of who is at fault. Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Insurance is a required no-fault coverage. Personal Injury Protection insurance provides coverage for injury-related expenses incurred by you or your passengers regardless of who is responsible for an accident. This coverage protects you, your children and members of your household, and passengers who do not own a vehicle in New York.  Passengers with Personal Injury Protection insurance are covered under their own policies for their injuries.

Liability Insurance is also a required coverage in the state of New York. Liability insurance will only provide coverage for damages or injuries to others when you are at fault. Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is also a requirement to offer protection in the event you are involved in an accident with someone who does not have sufficient insurance, or lacks insurance entirely.

Minimum Requirements
Bodily Injury - $25,000 to one person, $50,000 to all persons.
Property Damage - $10,000 per accident
No-fault Personal Injury Protection - $50,000
Uninsured/Underinsured Bodily Injury - $25,000 to one person, $50,000 to all persons. 

There are also many optional coverage types available such as collision coverage, comprehensive coverage, loan/lease gap coverage, rental car coverage, and roadside assistance/towing coverage. Collision and comprehensive coverage are very common policy additions. These two forms of coverage are available to protect the investment you have made in your vehicle.

In the event you were to hit another car, an object in the road, or were to overturn your car, collision coverage will cover any damages caused up to your policy limit. Your bank or lender may require you to have some degree of collision coverage if you have financed or leased a vehicle.  Keep in mind that as older vehicles lose value, collision coverage loses its value as well.  It may make sense to drop collision coverage on older vehicles that have depreciated substantially.

Comprehensive coverage is available to protect your vehicle when it is damaged by something other than a collision. This particular coverage would include protection against damages caused by vandalism, fire, theft, natural disaster, and other non-collision related damage.

If you are have any questions about policy requirements or choosing a new car insurance policy, please contact us at (716) 885-8100. The Willoughby Insurance team is committed to helping you choose an affordable policy that meets all of your coverage needs. You may use our Auto Insurance Tool to get started as well!